Today I am going to share a great recipe for a cold winter day, the beef and tomato stew. It is also one of my favoriate dishes. To keep the beef in this dish tender and juicy, I have two small tips to share with you.
Tip number one: Put the raw beef in cold water, and bring it to boil, after the beef has changed color, discard the water and rinse the beef under cold running water, drain well and set aside (as shown in the picture below).The second tip to help make sure the beef is tender is after adding the tomatoes, pour in hot water to simmer instead of cold water.Top with chopped chili peppers if you like spicy and a handful of cilantro, the dish is now ready to be served.
Below is a step-by- step demonstration of how I made this dish with pictures.Note: If you are not familiar with some of the sauces, spices or seasonings that I used in the recipes, here is a resource page called that I have created to help provide you with these information.
Below is the recipe for this Beef with Peppers dish. If you like it, don’t forget to share it with your friends and leave me a comment. Next week, I am going to share a “Korean-style Pork Ribs with Potato” recipe, come back and check it out!
- 1 pound beef cubes
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 8 pieces each
- 3 stalks gren onion, cut into long strips
- 3-4 slices ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 star anise
- 2 green and 2 red small chili peppers, cut into pieces for topping (optional)
- a handful of cilantro for topping
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Rinse the beef in cold water(about 2 cups) in a pan, bring to boil over medium-high heat ( took about 5 minutes for me), boil for about 1-2 minutes until the beef has changed color,discard the water in the pan and rinse the beef under running cold water for about 30 seconds, drain well and set aside.
- Heat oil into a pan over medium-high heat, stir in the garlic, giner, green onion and star anise, stir fry for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the beef cubes into the pan and cook for about 3 minutes until they are browned.
- Add in the tomato and toss in the sugar, cook for about 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes has turned soft.
- Pour in the hot water and turn to medium heat, simmer for about 20-25 minutes with lid on, stir occassionally.
- Toss in the salt and soy sauce, stir and mix well, cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and peppers to serve.