This dish is a perfect comfort food for me. I usually put it over a large bowl of white rice to let the rice soak the sauce from the dish and mix them together when I eat. I used chopsticks today but to enjoy this dish, a large spoon is your friend.
I used a rice cooker to make the white rice for this dish. Rice cooker is an essential cooking appliance in a Chinese family’s kitchen. People living in south part of China almost eat white rice in their every meal. Here is a link to the rice cooker I am currently using.
Below is a step-by- step demonstration of how I made this dish with pictures.Note: If you are not familiar with some of the sauces, spices or seasonings that I used in the recipes, here is a resource page called that I have created to help provide you with these information.
- Prepare 2 cups of cooked white rice for later use.
- Bring a couple cups of water to boil, cook the shaved beef in the boiling water for about 1 minute until the color of the beef has just changed, fish the beef out, set aside.
- Whisk oyster sauce, soy sauce, cooking wine and sugar in a small bowl, set aside.
- Add oil to the skillet, stir fry ginger slices over medium to medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, add onion slices and stir fry another 3-4 minutes until browned and soft.
- Add the shaved beef into the pan, stir fry for about 1 minute.
- Spread the sauce made in step 3 evenly over beef and onion, simmer for 4-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve and enjoy!