Everyone probably has a dish that helps reminds you of grandma’s cooking. For me, that dish is steamed sticky rice meat balls (or pearl meat balls).
Every New Year’s eve, everyone in my family will gather together at my grandparents’ house to celebrate the upcoming year over the “reunion dinner”. My grandmother will always make this dish for us.
When my grandma and my mom were making the rice balls before the reunion dinner. My cousin and I will always want to help. Even though we seemed to end up making a mess every time, we made everyone in the room laugh and it was a great time. When the dish was finally served at the table, my grandma will always thanked us for our “help” and put a rice ball in our bowls.
As you can tell, this steamed sticky rice meat ball dish has a lot of sentimental value for me.
This dish is not very hard to make. Essentially it’s just steamed meat balls covered with sticky rice. What’s more, making the meat balls are quite fun!
It is also a very kid-friendly dish. These cute white meal balls (hence the name – pearl meat balls) will easily attract your kids’ attention. Their soft and tender texture are also easy for them to eat.
I hope you enjoy this Steamed Sticky Rice Meat Balls recipe. Follow me on instagram or join the newsletter to receive future recipe updates!
- half a pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- half a teaspoon white pepper
- half a teaspoon salt
- half a teaspoon sugar
- half a cup raw sticky rice( I soaked the rice with water and refrigerated it overnight, that's how my mom makes it, if you don't have enough time at hand, just using raw sticky rice will work too)
- Mix ground beef, egg, green onion, cooking wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, white pepper, salt and sugar together well in a container.
- Roll the mixture into a couple of bite size meat balls with hand.
- Lay the sticky rice on a flat plate, coat with the sticky rice gently and evenly.
- Place the meatballs inside a steamer, after the water starts to boil, steam for about 20 minutes.
- Top with freshly chopped green onion to serve while hot.