Summer is just around the corner, ready to kick the season off to a good start with a refreshing mango smoothie with mango ice cubes? I know I am!
Mango is one of my favorite summer fruits. Besides eating, I also like to make healthy smoothie with it. My secret for making a nice cold smoothie with an extra strong mango flavor is adding ice cubes made with 100% pure mango.
Mango ice cubes you say?
Yup, that’s right! My mom use to make these for us every summer during mango season. We eat them as a snack or make instant smoothie with it. These colorful, guiltless treats are loved by everyone in the family all summer long!
Mango ice cubes are super easy to make. Simply add mango chunks to a blender to process, pour the mango puree into a ice cube tray, freeze overnight and voilà – mango ice cubes.
How to cut a mango into chunks:
- Stand the mango up on a cutting board and cut downwards from the top to make two parallel slices, one on each side of the seed in the middle, called the “cheeks.”
- Make length and crosswise cuts that don’t go through the skin in the two mango cheeks.
- Turn the cheeks inside out by pushing the skin side up so the flesh pokes out.
- Scrape the mango chunks off of the skin with a knife or spoon.
What you need to make this mango smoothie?
To make this mango smoothie, all you need are 6-8 medium sized mango (use half to make ice cubes, half to cut into fresh chunks), one cup low-fat milk and one tablespoon honey/sugar. These will help make delicious mango smoothie enough to fill two 16 oz. mason jars.
This refreshing and healthy mango smoothie makes a perfect breakfast beverage, afternoon snack and sometimes, a late night treat, they are my favorite!
Garnish it with mint leaves, lime wedges, put a straw in the jar and start enjoying!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. To receive future recipe updates, you can follow me on instagram or join my newsletter here. (We don’t spam, promise!)
- 6-8 medium sized honey mangos (Ataulfo mango)
- 1 cup milk or plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- mint leaves
- lime wedges
- Use half of the mangos, cut into chunks, put in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into a ice cube tray and freeze overnight.
- Cut the other half mangos into chunks.
- Place mango ice cubes, mango chunks, milk and honey in a blender, blend until smooth.
- Garnish with mint leaves or lime wedges and enjoy!