Sweet and Sour Chicken is one of the most popular Chinese dishes and also one of my personal favoriates. The recipe I am going to share today, is a simple version of how to make this dish.
Instead of coating the chicken with batter, I marinated the chicken with egg white from one egg, 1 teaspoon of potato starch and 1 tablespoon of cooking wine for about 10 minutes. This could also help maintain the chciken’s tenderness.
I prepared the sweet and sour sauce beforehand by mixing 4 tablespoons of ketchup, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of water. And set the sauce aside for later use when cooking.
After deep fried the chicken until it is browned and crisp on the surface, I coated the sweet and sour sauce evenly onto the chicken by stir-frying for about 2-3 minutes.
Top with toasted white sesame seeds, a delicious sweet and sour chicken is ready to be served.
Below is a step-by- step demonstration of how I made this dish with pictures.Note: If you are not familiar with some of the sauces, spices or seasonings that I used in the recipes, here is a resource page called that I have created to help provide you with these information.
Below is the recipe for this sweet and sour chicken dish. If you like it, don’t forget to share it with your friends and leave me a comment. Next week, I am going to share a “Beef and Tomato Stew” recipe, come back and check it out!
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- a touch of toasted white sesame seeds
- For marinating the chicken:
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- For the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- Marinate the chicken with egg white,potato starch and cooking wine for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk ketchup, suagr, vinegar, salt and water in a small bowl as the sauce for later use.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-low heat, carefully add in the chicken, deep fry for about 15 minutes until browned and crisp on the surface, fish out the chicken and set aside.
- Leave about 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan, turn to medium heat, add in the sauce and cook for about 3 minutes until it starts to thicken, stir occassionally during the cooking process.
- Stir in the chicken, stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes, make sure the sauce has evenly coated the chicken.
- Top with sesame seeds to serve.