Today I am going to share a delicious Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings recipe with you guys! I will explain how I made this dish in detail so it’s easy for you guys to follow, now let’s get started!
First, I poured a half cup of all purpose flour and a half cup of potato starch onto a plate and mixed them together with a pair of chopsticks. The flour mixture will be used to coat the chicken wings later.
Alongside the flour mixture, I also beat two eggs in a small bowl. To make sure the chicken wings had a nice flavor, I marinated them with salt and pepper for an hour ahead of time.
Now it’s time to coat the chicken wings. First, I covered a chicken wing with the flour mixture (remember to shake off the excess flour) then I dredged it into the egg mixture. Finally, I coated the chicken wing with flour mixture one last time. I battered the chicken wings one at a time and repeated the process until all the chicken wings were coated nicely.
To deep fry the chicken wings, first I heated the oil in a deep sauce pan (or a dutch oven) until it was hot enough for deep frying . To test if the oil had reached the correct temperature (350 degrees F), I inserted a chopstick into the oil, if it immediately started to bubble, that’d be the indication that the oil was ready.
To make chicken wings crispy, I deep fried them twice. I started by frying over medium heat for ten minutes until they were cooked though and golden brown. I then removed the chicken wings from the pan to rest them on paper towel while I turned the heat up on the oil to high. After a few minutes of resting, I deep fried them again, for about five minutes this time.
While the chicken wings were resting on a paper towel, I started to make the sweet and sour sauce. First I sautéed the garlic until fragrant, then I mixed ketchup, honey, vinegar and water, and heated them over low heat for a few minutes until the sauce had thickened.
Now it’s time to reward yourself with delicious sweet and sour chicken wings! Simply toss the chicken wings in sauce until they are completely covered and dig in!
Here is an overview of how I made these Sweet and Sour Chicken Wings. Enjoy the recipe below and have a great day everyone! If you like this dish, please leave a comment, nothing makes me happier than to hear from you!
- 1.5 pound chicken wings (about 10)
- For marinating the chicken wings:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- For the batter:
- half cup flour
- half cup potato starch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- For frying the chicken:
- several cups oil depend on the size of your frying pan so the oil is deep enough to cover the chicken wings when frying
- Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- half tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic,minced
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Marinate chicken wings with salt and pepper for an hour (at least 30 minutes to make sure the chicken absorbs the flavor)
- Mix flour and potato starch on a plate, set aside
- Beat two eggs in a small bowl, set aside
- Coat the chicken wings first with flour mixture then with egg mixture, last with flour mixture again
- Heat oil under medium-high heat until reached temperature (350 degrees F), test by inserting a chopstick, if the oil starts to bubble immediately, it's ready
- Deep fry the chicken wings for 10 minutes, stir occasionally, until cooked through and golden brown (cook in batches if needed, make sure oil returns temperature before adding the next batch), fish out, let sit on paper towel
- Turn to high heat, deep fry the chicken wings again for about 5 minutes (double frying method keeps the chicken wings crispy), remove and place on paper towels
- To make the sauce, first whisk ketchup, honey, rice vinegar and water in a container
- Heat a skillet with low heat with a touch of oil added, pan fry the minced garlic until fragrant and browned
- Pour in the honey ketchup mixture, heat with low heat until the sauce starts to thicken, stir occasionally to avoid burning
- Turn off the heat and coat the chicken wings evenly with the sauce, serve hot and enjoy!