Once in a while, my boyfriend and I like to spend a weeknight eating out in restaurants near St. Marks Place (A place worth checking out if you are in Manhattan. It’s got vibrant streets, cool arts, small funky shops and tons of good food).
The other day, we were eating meat on skewers (yakitori) in a Japanese restaurant. We ordered a bacon-wrapped enoki dish and fell in love with it! Last weekend, I decided to try making this dish at home and it was a success! Here I am, sharing with you guys how I made it.
Here is what the enoki mushrooms look like. They are normally conveniently packed into a package like below. You could find them in most Asian grocery stores for around 2 bucks each.
I prepared the enoki mushrooms by brushing the loose dirts off the ends with a paper towel and trimmed the ends off. Making the wraps were easier than I thought. Because the wraps I was going to make were fairly small, I cut the bacon slices into halves first.
Then I simply picked a handful of enoki mushrooms and wrapped them with the bacon. To prevent the wrap from getting loose, I used a short bamboo stick to secure it.
Pan-frying those enoki bacon wraps was fun. I transferred them on a small cast iron pan first and took the bamboo sticks out before turning on the heat. I didn’t add any oil in the beginning because the bacon will release a lot of fat during cooking. To make sure they were evenly cooked, I carefully flipped the wraps with a small tong, until all sides were crisp and browned like shown below.
With one package of enoki, I made six wraps, which is a good-sized appetizer for the two of us. If you are cooking for more than two, I suggest buying a couple enoki mushrooms.
Here’s the final product and we both agreed it tasted just as good as the dish we ordered at the restaurant if not more (not bragging, seriously). I hope you guys will try to make this dish at home sometimes as well whether you are already a Japanese food fan or you just want to try something new, it won’t let you down.
Here is the recipe, enjoy and I hope everyone have a great day!
- one package of enoki mushrooms
- three bacon slices
- six short bamboo sticks
- a handful roasted sesame seeds for topping (optional)
- Brush the loose dirts off the ends of enoki mushrooms with a paper towel, trim the ends off and set aside.
- Cut the bacon slices into halves.
- Pick a small bunch of enoki mushrooms and wrap them with half of the the bacon slices, secure by inserting a bamboo stick in the middle.
- Transfer the bacon enoki wraps into a small cast iron pan, carefully pull out the bamboo sticks.
- Turn to medium heat, pan fry the wraps until all sides of bacon are crisp and browned. (I used a small tong to pick up the wraps and flipped them around)
- Transfer the bacon enoki wraps onto a plate, sprinkle on top roasted sesame seeds to serve.