Celtuce or stem lettuce, belongs to the lettuce family. It’s got a great unique texture and fresh flavor, makes it a popular vegetable in China especially in the summer time. People in western countries may find it a little bit unfamiliar, which is why I am excited to introduce this wonderful ingredient to your guys today by showing you how to cook Celtuce with this simple yet tasty recipe. Now, let’s jump right in!
There are many ways to cook celtuce, the most common way is stir frying. But I am doing something a little bit different today.
First, I shredded the celtuce and cook it under boiling water for a couple of minutes and then rinse under cold water and drain. Next, I made a ham and garlic sauce seasoned with chili flake, chili oil, salt, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and some toasted sesame seeds. Last step to completing this dish is simply pouring the sizzling hot garlic ham sauce over the stem lettuce and mix it well to serve.
Instead of stir frying, blanching the celtuce and then pouring hot oil over it helps to best retain the wonderful tender texture of this great ingredient yet still get the flavor through.
Below is a overview of how to make this dish. The total time needed is about 20 minutes. Next time, I am going to share a “Spinach and Mushroom Noodle” recipe, come back to check it out!
Below is the recipe for this dish. I would love hear from you guys, leave me a comment below!
- 2 stem lettuce, peeled and shredded
- 3 tablespoons diced ham
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- half long red chili pepper, cut into small pieces
- For seasoning:
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon chili oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- a touch of toasted sesame seeds
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil, stir in the stem lettuce and cook for about 5 minutes, fish the stem lettuce out, rinse under cold water, drain well and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a pan over medium heat, add in ham and garlic, cook for 2 minutes until crispy and browned.
- Toss in chili pepper, chili oil, salt, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and sesame seeds and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Mix well with stem lettuce and serve.