I am sure you have ordered the fried rice from a Chinese resteraunt before. Today I am going to share a really simple way to make fried rice at home with cabbage and egg as the main ingredients. In fact, there are a lot of different ways to make fried rice depends on the ingredients you put in (you will always need rice though 🙂 ). And this “Healthy ham fired rice” recipe is an example. Now,let’s get started learning to make today’s cabbage fried rice, shall we?
I used a rice cooker to make the white rice for this dish. Rice cooker is an essential cooking appliance in a Chinese family’s kitchen. Here is a link to the rice cooker I am currently using.
Below is a step-by- step demonstration of how I made this dish with pictures.Note: If you are not familiar with some of the sauces, spices or seasonings that I used in the recipes, here is a resource page called that I have created to help provide you with these information.
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 eggs, beaten, add a touch of salt to taste
- 2 cups cabbage, tear into pieces
- 4 small spicy chili pepper, chopped into pieces
- a handful of chopped green onion for topping
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- a touch of sesame oil
- a touch of white pepper powder
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat, add in the cabbage and stir fry for about 3 minutes until it starts to turn soft.
- Stir in the cooked rice rice and continue cooking for about 3 minutes until the rice is heat through, stir frequently to make sure the rice is heated evenly.
- Toss in the salt, soy sauce and oyster sauce and stir fry for another 1 minute, set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil into the pan over medium heat and gently pour the egg mixture onto the pan, wait for about 30 seconds when the eggs begin to set, lightly stir and use your spatula to separate the egg into pieces, keep stirring until the egg is cooked.
- Add the cabbage and rice back into the pan, stir fry for another 1-2 minutes and make sure the egg pieces are mixed well with the rice and cabbage.
- Drizzle with a touch of sesame oil, add white pepper powder to taste , top with chopped green onion and enjoy!