Today I am going to share how to make homemade vegetable fried rice that’s as good as the ones ordered from Chinese restaurants with you!
Let me start with introducing the ingredients. First of all, we’ll need cooked white rice. Here I used jasmine rice. Other than rice, I also used frozen peas and carrots, egg and scallion. If you want to add protein to the fried rice, simply follow this recipe, but cook the protein separately, and add it to the stir fry in the end.
I cooked the rice with the help of my rice cooker . I recommend getting a rice cooker if you like making rice dishes at home. My rice cooker costs me 25 dollars and cooks rice in 15-20 minutes with the push of a button. As a daily rice eater, I can’t live without my rice cooker.
Authentic Chinese fried rice uses cold left over rice (normally day-old or overnight at least). Just-cooked rice is sticky and warm, use it for fired rice, the product will more likely turn out soggy. The dry left over rice, however, gives our fried rice a nice chewy grains texture. In this case, fresh isn’t actually better. What I like to do is to cook the rice one day ahead of time and leave it in a refrigerate.
I have a tip about making sure the rice is seasoned evenly to share with you as well. That is to mix the cold rice with all the seasoning sauces and oil throughly BEFORE cooking, like shown below. This way, all we need to do later is to heat the rice through.
Once the rice is cooked and seasoned, making the actual fried rice only takes a few minutes! First, cook the egg and set it aside. Next, stir fry the peas and carrots until they are heated through. Then add the rice into the pan, cook for a few minutes until hot. At last, add the egg back in, stir fry a little bit more and garnish the fried rice with freshly chopped green onion.
Next time, you don’t have to go to a restaurant for your fired rice cravings anymore. Just follow this recipe, roll up your sleeves and make a delicious home-made Chinese fired rice at home!
Here is an overview of how I made this vegetable fried rice at home in a little bit less than 20 minutes. Enjoy the recipe below.
I will try to post one recipe a day from now on. If you like this dish, please leave a comment, nothing makes me happier than to hear from you.
- Mix rice well with dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, oil, cooking wine and oyster sauce.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, sprinkle with some oil, and pour in the egg, when the eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, until forming large soft curds, set aside.
- Add some oil into the pan again, stir in the peas and carrots and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the seasoned rice and stir fry for about 3-4 minutes until heat through.
- Add the egg back into the pan, cook for another 1 minute.
- Toss in the green onion, cook for another 30 seconds and serve.