Smoked salmon montadito with Mexican crema is 100% a small bite with BIG flavor. Not only pleasing on the palate, it’s also a treat for the eye.
Today I decide to mix it up a little and post a recipe that is not Asian but great for the upcoming summer season. These smoked salmon montaditos will be a perfect appetizer for your next party that everyone loves!
Inspired by the salmon montadito we had at the restaurant, today I decide to gather the ingredients myself and make it at home. It took only fifteen minutes to make, and even better, the cost of all the ingredients is only half of what we pay at the restaurant.
What is Montadito?
Montadito is a staple food of Spain, popular in tapas bars. It’s very similar to a bite-sized open-faced sandwich. Simply pile a few flavorful toppings on a slice of baguette, here is your tasty montadito. They come in a variety of flavors.
To make the montaditos, I started by slicing a small loaf of baguette french bread diagonally into a few half-inch thick slices with a bread knife.
The next step is making the Mexican crema which will go directly onto the bread.
Since this is my first time making Mexican crema at home, I decided to follow an online recipe. I ended up using this recipe posted on epicurious. It’s super easy to make and tastes very similar to the crema used at the restaurant.
To construct the smoked salmon montatido, smear a generous portion of the rich Mexican crema on each baguette slice and top with a large slice of smoked salmon. Drizzle the honey and sprinkle with chopped almonds and scallions for garnish. As a finishing touch, I also put a small amount of sweet relish on top.
The almond, scallion and relish are more than just decoration, they also help add textures and flavors. They are important parts of the dish.
And that’s it! You now have an extremely easy-to-make appetizer that’s a little sweet, a lot creamy and super delicious!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. To receive future recipe updates, you can follow me on instagram or join my newsletter here. (We don’t spam, promise!)
- half loaf of small baguette
- a package of 4 oz smoked salmon
- ¼ cup honey
- Mexican Crema:
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- a handful of roasted almonds, chopped
- 1 stalk scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet relish
- Slice a small loaf of baguette diagonally into six half-inch thick slices with a bread knife.
- Combine sour cream, heavy cream and salt in a bowl and mix well and serve at room temperature.
- To construct the montatidos, smear a generous portion of the Mexican crema on each baguette slice and pile a large slice of smoked salmon on top.
- Drizzle the smoked salmon with honey.
- Sprinkle with chopped almonds and scallions.
- Add a small amount of sweet relish on top.
- Serve and enjoy!