Starting a blog is easier than you think! Below is an easy and affordable way to create a beautiful and professional-looking blog in less than 10-minutes!
First: choose a web host and platform
Below is a guide on how to sign up and use flywheel to host your blog and build it on the WordPress platform.
- Fast site speed
- Staging site to help test out changes and new designs
- Nightly site back up and one-click restores
- FREE software, all we need is a domain and web hosting
- Tons of free resources online
- Expandable by using themes and plugins
How do I start?
1) Go to flywheel and click on the “Sign Up” button (the username can NOT be changed later)
2) Once signed in, click on the “New Site” button
3) Provide details to your WordPress site, site name,etc.4) Scroll down to pay for the hosting service5) Choose a hosting plan (I recommend starting with the “Tiny” plan and upgrade later based on your needs)
6) After payment, flywheel will start preparing the WordPress site. It normally takes about less than a minute and when it completes, simply click the “WordPress Login” button to access your blog
7) A new window will pop up and ask you to provide username and password information
8) You could find these information on the lower right corner of the main page. (Username will always be “flywheel” while the password is randomly assigned, you could change the password or turn the password off later)
9) After providing the username and password, you will be directed to login in to the WordPress site
10) The username and password required here are information you filled out earlier
You are now logged in to your blog’s WordPress dashboard, and ready to publish!
SECOND: Pretty up your blog
WordPress offers a LOT of great free themes that may fit your needs (Click here). Other than free themes, there are also tons of premium themes which provide more features and supports for bloggers available. Premium themes require purchasing (costs between 35$ to 75$ normally).
For Spice the Plate, I am currently using the Brunch Pro theme by Shay Bocks. She is one of my favorite web designers. I am a big fan of the theme’s clean and elegant design as well as how easy it is to use!
Before switching to Brunch Pro, I have been using the Foodie Pro theme also designed by Shay, this is another great theme designed for food blogs.
Tips about choosing a premium theme
- Use “Live Demo” feature to test the theme before purchasing
- Check if the tutorial on how to configure the theme is available and easy to follow before purchasing a theme – Tutorial for Brunch Pro and Foodie Pro themes
Most designers provide service for installing theme and customizing theme with a flat fee. If you don’t like handling these yourself and have the budget, this is something to think about – Install it for me and Customize it for me service offered by Shay Boks
How to install a theme?
After downloading the theme (in zip file format), click “Appearance->Theme” on the left side of the WordPress dashboard.
Click “Add New” and “Upload Theme” and then upload the zip file before clicking “Install Now“
Note: Brunch Pro and Foodie Pro theme are child themes under the Genesis Framework (a parent theme), which needs to be purchased separately and installed before the child theme. Installing the Genesis framework is the same as installing a theme.
After successfully installing the theme, click “Return to Themes page” and hover over the theme just installed and click “Active“. That’s it, you are all set!
Other useful information
- Set your domain name (DNS) to point to Flywheel
- Go live with your site on Flywheel
- Free WordPress Themes
- How to configure Foodie Pro and Brunch Pro themes