Today I want to share a quick-and-easy bok choy recipe with you guys. This healthy vegetable side dish is seasoned with only olive oil, salt and ground black pepper, allows you to taste the delicate flavor of all the ingredients!
I like paring the bok choy with mushroom with making a stir-fry. For this dish, I used king oyster mushroom. It has a firm and meaty texture; the tastes is mild and can be described as sweet and nutty.
King oyster mushroom has the advantage of remaining firm when cooked. What I normally do is cutting them into thin slices and pan frying until they lightly browned before stir frying with the vegetables for a rich, concentrated flavor.
To prevent the dish from turning into a watery braise, I whisked a touch of potato starch with water and poured into the pan at the end. It helps to thicken the dish and gives the bok choy a brighter color.
This fresh stir fry can be great side dish to serve alongside a bold-flavored meat dish.
Here is the recipe, enjoy and I hope everyone have a great day!
- 1 pound shanghai bok choy, rinsed and separate the leaves from the stems
- half pound king oyster mushrooms (or king trumpet mushrooms), sliced and pat dry
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- For thickening:
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Whisk potato starch and water in a small container, set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-low heat, lay the king oyster mushroom slices evenly onto the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste, pan fry until both sides are lightly browned and set aside.
- In the same skillet, pour in 2 tablespoons oil, turn to medium-high heat, add in the garlic, sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Keep the heat at medium-high, add in the bok choy and stir fry 1-2 minutes until soft.
- Add the mushroom back into the pan, toss in 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper, stir to mix well.
- Pour the starch water around the pan, stir fry for another minute before removing from heat.
- Plate and enjoy over rice.