Today I am going to introduce another easy and tasty weeknight dinner recipe – sliced beef over lettuce, with sweet and sour garlic dressing on top. Nothing beats coming home after a long day of work and enjoying a delicious, nutritious dinner while spending under 15 minutes in the kitchen.
Shown in the picture below are the main ingredients I used for this dish. On the left side, we have beef ribeye steak (cut into slices), sliced green onion and shredded lettuce.
On the right side, are the ingredients for making the super tasty sweet and sour garlic dressing. We’ll need butter, garlic, onion, black pepper, ketchup, oyster sauce, salt and sugar.
I’ll get into how I made it in a little bit. (In the recipe section, I listed the amount for each ingredient)
To start, I pan fried the ribeye slices with butter until they have changed color. I immediately removed the pan from heat (to prevent overcooking) and placed the beef on top of the lettuce. Rib eye steak are very versatile, it could be seared/pan-fried as slices or slow cooked as a whole. The fat content in a ribeye steak makes it rich in flavor.
To make the dressing, I started by using the melted butter to sauté the garlic and onion until fragrant (use medium-low heat or low heat to avoid burning). After that, I added some ground black pepper into the pan.
It’s time to add ketchup, oyster sauce, salt and sugar. Instead of adding each ingredient one by one, I already whisked them together in a container before cooking. Now I only had to pour in the mixture, this helps to save time.
The sauce will be very thick at this point, so I added some water to dilute it and used a spatula to mix everything well. After a little bit of waiting, you’ll see the sauce starts to bubble, this is a sign that it has been cooked.
I added about half a cup worth of water. You could grab a spoon and give the sauce a taste. If it tastes too strong, then add some more water and wait for it to bubble again. If too much water was added, either wait for the sauce to simmer a little longer for it to thicken, or add more ingredient. This may be different for each person how thick is “too thick” or too thin, but that’s why I like to look at cooking as an combination of art and science.
When you are satisfied with the taste of the sauce, simply pour it onto the beef and sprinkle with some green onion to serve and enjoy. It won’t let you down!
Here is an overview of how I made “Sliced Beef Over Lettuce” in less than 15 minutes!I hope you enjoy making this tasty sliced beef over lettuce at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 4-6 beef ribeye steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter for pan fry the beef
- a quarter head of lettuce, shredded
- 2 stalks green onion, sliced for topping
- For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- about ½ cup water (after tasting the sauce, feel free to adjust the amount of water)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a small container, combine ketchup, oyster sauce, sugar and salt, mix well and set aside.
- Place the shredded lettuce on a plate for serving later.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, pan fry the thin beef slices for about 1 minute or until changed color, roll the beef slices up and place them on top of the lettuce.
- Heat some more butter in the skillet, sauté the minced onion and garlic over medium-low heat until fragrant, toss in the black pepper and sauté for another 30 seconds to a minute.
- Stir in the ketchup mixture previously prepared and pour in some water, stir gently with the spatula to mix everything well, when the sauce starts to bubble, keep cooking for another 1-2 minutes until the sauce is thickened a little bit and turn off the heat.
- Carefully pour the sauce over the beef and top with some sliced green onion to serve.