Before winter comes, I want to share one last cold side dish recipe this year. This chicken and eggplant side dish is healthy, full of flavor and very easy to make. I can’t wait to share with you.
This time, I am cooking for 2 people. I used one skin-on boneless chicken breast (feel free to use skinless chicken breast), one Asian eggplant, and some chopped some garlic, green onion and chili red pepper to set aside.
In the “Eggplant Stir Fry” recipe I shared a while ago, I mentioned the difference between Asian eggplant and regular eggplant. Asian eggplant usually comes in a long shape. It has a more delicate taste, thinner skin and contains less seeds. I recommend using the Asian eggplant for this recipe if you can find it.
Freshly cut eggplant turns black easily when exposed to the air, to slow down the oxidation process, I usually soak them in water while setting aside before cooking.
To shorten the time needed to make shredded chicken, I first cut the chicken breast into thick slices before cooking, then tear the cooked chicken breasts into smaller shreds with a fork.
Once the cooked eggplant and chicken have cooled down, I put garlic, green onion, etc. on top and add soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and sugar for seasoning.
After making sure everything is mixed well, this simple, delicious chicken and eggplant side dish is ready. It’s great for serving as either a salad, side dish or an appetizer.
If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 chicken breast, with or without skin (about half a pound)
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into long strings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 1-2 small red chili pepper, chopped (optional)
- For seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Slice the chicken breast.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil over high heat, stir in the chicken and turn to low heat, boil for a few minutes with the lid on until cooked through (cut the chicken into thick slices helps save cooking time)
- Transfer the cooked chicken into a container, tear into smaller shreds with fork or hands and leave in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- While waiting for the chicken to cool down, steam the eggplant for about 7-8 minutes until soft and cooked through, drain water and season with some salt, set aside.
- Combine chicken, eggplant, green onion, garlic and red pepper in a container, toss in soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and sugar, mix well and serve.