This recipe for “Chicken with Green Onion Sauce” is fresh, refreshing, and delicious. Served as an appetizer or main dish, it is a perfect summer recipe.
I started with boiling the boneless chicken leg together with green onion and star anise for a couple of minutes until the chicken was cooked through. After that, I rinsed the chicken under water with ice in it for about five minutes so that it could be later served as a cold dish.
The tasty green onion sauce in this dish is the key to this dish and very easy to make. All I did is to put all the ingredients needed for the sauce into a bowl and carefully pour the hot oil onto the ingredients. When the sizzling sound stops, I simply mixed all the ingredients well and the sauce is done!
The chicken is tender, juicy and full of refreshing green onion flavor. My mouth can’t stop watering while I am typing, I am going to enjoy this dish now 🙂 I hope you will give this recipe a try sometime this week, you will know what I am talking about.
Below is how I made this dish step-by-step. The total time needed is about less than 30 minutes!I hope you enjoy making this chicken with green onion sauce at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 boneless chicken leg with skin
- 1 stalk green onion, cut into long pieces
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 star anise
- cilantro for topping (optional)
- red chili pepper for topping (optional)
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable or olive oil
- Bring a medium pot of water(about 3 cups) to boil under high heat ( it took about 7 minutes for me)
- Turn to medium heat, carefully add in the chicken leg, ginger slices, green onion and stat anise into the boiling water and cook for about 7-8 minutes with lid on until the chicken is cooked through.
- Fish the chicken out, discard the boiled water, place the chicken under water with ice in it for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the cold water, drain well, and cut the chicken into long pieces and place them onto a plate, set aside.
- Put green onion, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds in a container, toss in the salt and soy sauce.
- Heat the oil in a pan until smoking, carefully pour the hot oil around into the container, wait until the sizzling stops, mix all the ingredients well.
- Wait a couple of minutes for the sauce to cool off, pour it onto the chicken.
- Top with cilantro and red chili pepper to serve.