This recipe for “Chicken with Green Onion Sauce” is fresh, refreshing, and delicious. Served as an appetizer or main dish, it is a perfect summer recipe.
I started with boiling the boneless chicken leg together with green onion and star anise for a couple of minutes until the chicken was cooked through. After that, I rinsed the chicken under water with ice in it for about five minutes so that it could be later served as a cold dish.
The tasty green onion sauce in this dish is the key to this dish and very easy to make. All I did is to put all the ingredients needed for the sauce into a bowl and carefully pour the hot oil onto the ingredients. When the sizzling sound stops, I simply mixed all the ingredients well and the sauce is done!
The chicken is tender, juicy and full of refreshing green onion flavor. My mouth can’t stop watering while I am typing, I am going to enjoy this dish now 🙂 I hope you will give this recipe a try sometime this week, you will know what I am talking about.
Below is how I made this dish step-by-step. The total time needed is about less than 30 minutes!I hope you enjoy making this chicken with green onion sauce at home. If you like this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 boneless chicken leg with skin
- 1 stalk green onion, cut into long pieces
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 star anise
- cilantro for topping (optional)
- red chili pepper for topping (optional)
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- Bring a medium pot of water(about 3 cups) to boil under high heat ( it took about 7 minutes for me)
- Turn to medium heat, carefully add in the chicken leg, ginger slices, green onion and stat anise into the boiling water and cook for about 7-8 minutes with lid on until the chicken is cooked through.
- Fish the chicken out, discard the boiled water, place the chicken under water with ice in it for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the cold water, drain well, and cut the chicken into long pieces and place them onto a plate, set aside.
- Put green onion, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds in a container, toss in the salt and soy sauce.
- Heat the oil in a pan until smoking, carefully pour the hot oil around into the container, wait until the sizzling stops, mix all the ingredients well.
- Wait a couple of minutes for the sauce to cool off, pour it onto the chicken.
- Top with cilantro and red chili pepper to serve.