This week, I want to share a summer chicken skin salad recipe with y’all. Delicious, affordable and easy-to-assemble, I can’t wait to share it with you and I hope you’ll like this recipe as much as we do.
The main ingredient is, of course, the chicken skin. I found it at our local Asian grocery store, it comes pre-packaged and costs only about $3 for a full pound’s worth in the meat section. I also used carrot and leek to add texture, color and flavor to the dish.
To start, I julienned the carrot and leek (if you don’t have leek handy, scallion is a great alternative as well), and cut the chicken skin into long strips. Now it’s time to cook the chicken skin by adding them into a pot, filling with cold water, bringing to boil and simmering until chicken skin’s fully cooked. For carrot and green onion, I like to blanch them separately and combine with the cooked chicken skin in a bowl to cool down.
Here comes the highlight of this Summer Chicken Skin Salad, the seasoning! To add a nice spice kick that complements the richness of the chicken skin, I mixed together Black Bean in Chili Oil sauce (one of the most popular chili oil sauce in China), soy sauce, sugar and salt for the dressing.
Pair with a bowl of white rice is my family’s favorite way to enjoy this dish.
I hope you enjoy this tasty summer chicken salad recipe. Leave a comment below to let us know your thoughts about this recipe or share it with your friends and family! Till next time!
- 1 pound raw chicken skin (available in most major Asian grocery stores)
- 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and cut into matchstick sizes
- 1-2 stalk leek/green onion, rinsed and ends trimmed, cut into long shreds
- toasted sesame seeds for topping (optional)
- ¼ cup black bean in chili oil sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- Chinese vinegar to taste
- Add chicken skin into a pot and fill with cold water. Bring the pot to a boil and simmer until chicken skin is fully cooked.
- Drain off water in the pot, transfer the cooked chicken skin into a large bowl and set aside.
- Blanch carrot and leek separately/combined, drain and place on top of chicken skin.
- In a small bowl, combine black bean in chili oil sauce, soy sauce, sugar, salt and Chinese vinegar, mix well and pour on top of the ingredients.
- Mix everything with a pair of chopsticks until all ingredients are mixed well and the sauce is distributed evenly.
- Transfer to a plate and top with sesame seeds and enjoy!