Sweet and Sour Chicken is one of the most popular Chinese dishes and also one of my personal favorites. The recipe I am going to share today, is a simple version of this dish.
Instead of coating the chicken with batter, I marinated the chicken with egg white from one egg, one teaspoon of potato starch and one tablespoon of cooking wine for about ten minutes. This could also help maintain the chicken’s tenderness.
I prepared the sweet and sour sauce beforehand by mixing four tablespoons of ketchup, two tablespoons of sugar, two tablespoons of white vinegar, one teaspoon of salt and one tablespoon of water. And set the sauce aside for later use when cooking.
After deep fried the chicken until it is browned and crisp on the surface, I coated the sweet and sour sauce evenly onto the chicken by stir-frying for about two to three minutes.
Top with toasted white sesame seeds, a delicious sweet and sour chicken is ready to be served.
Below is a summary of how I made this dish with pictures.I hope you enjoy making this tasty sweet and sour chicken at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- a touch of toasted white sesame seeds
- For marinating the chicken:
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- For the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- Marinate the chicken with egg white, potato starch and cooking wine for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk ketchup, sugar, vinegar, salt and water in a small bowl as the sauce for later use.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-low heat, carefully add in the chicken, deep fry for about 15 minutes until browned and crisp on the surface, fish out the chicken and set aside.
- Leave about 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan, turn to medium heat, add in the sauce and cook for about 3 minutes until it starts to thicken, stir occasionally during the cooking process.
- Stir in the chicken, stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes, make sure the sauce has evenly coated the chicken.
- Top with sesame seeds to serve.