I am a big fan of Thai food, especially stir fry dishes with basil in it. My mouth starts to water every time I smell the distinct aroma of basil leaves. Today I am going to share with you how to make Thai basil chicken, one of the most popular Thai dishes.
First, the chicken breasts need to be pan seared. I used chicken breast with skin to make this dish today because I like crispy chicken skin. It’s total okay to use skinless chicken breast instead 🙂
I seasoned the chicken with a good amount of salt and pepper and seared both sides until golden brown. When making pan fried chicken, I always use high heat and allow at least 2-3 minutes (until lightly browned) before turning to other side.
After the chicken has been cooked, I’ll wait a few minutes for it to cool down and then cut it into thick slices and set aside. Before adding the chicken slices back into the pan, I sautéd garlic and peppers first until they are fragrant. Toss in fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar and give it a light stir to mix everything well, the dish is almost ready after incorporating the key ingredient – Thai basil leaves.
Fresh basil leaves need to be added last because they are very delicate and easy to be overcooked. After all the ingredients are added, simply stir fry another one or two minutes, the dish is ready to be served.
This Thai basil chicken has a lot of great flavor and is rich is texture. It’s our to-go weeknight dinner recipe. Bowls of white rice and this dish are a great combination and is the way we like to enjoy it. I hope you like this recipe, there will be more delicious Thai recipes to come!
Hers is an overview of how to make this delicious Thai basil chicken dish in less than half an hour.
I hope you enjoy making this tasty Thai basil chicken breast at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- half pound chicken breast, with or without skin
- 1 long red pepper, sliced
- 1 green red pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons oil
- Marinating the chicken:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Rub the chicken breast with salt and ground black pepper on both sides, let sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over med-high heat, sear chicken breasts 2-3 minutes on both sides until golden brown.
- After the chicken breasts have cooled down, cut into slices and set aside.
- Whisk fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar in a small container and set aside.
- Heat the other 2 tablespoons oil in a pan over medium-high, stir in garlic and peppers, sauté 1-2 minutes before throwing the chicken back into the pan.
- Pour in the seasoning sauce, stir to mix well, add in the basil leaves and stir fry for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Serve and enjoy with rice.