Thanks for visiting Spice the Plate, today I am going to share the recipe of a mind-blowing Beef Lo Mein recipe. It’s full of flavor and WAY better than the Beef Lo Mein sold at the restaurants. Enough talking, let jump right into it.
The ingredients for this dish are very simple. Based on the name of the dish, I am sure you already figured out the two main ingredients, beef and Lo Mein noodles. Besides that, we only need garlic, onion, red and green pepper. That simple!
There are three things we need to do before cooking starts. These preparation work will help ensure the flavor of the dish and make the cooking process later stress-free.
The three things are: 1) marinate the beef 2) cook the Lo Mein noodles following the directions on the package and 3) make the sauce for seasoning.
Here is the order when to use each ingredient when cooking, it’s very simple:
- Cook the beef and set aside.
- Sauté the onion until browned and throw in the pepper and garlic, cook until they are soft.
- Add the beef back into the pan and cook for about 1 minute (this could make sure the beef is tender and not overcooked).
- Toss in the noodle and sauce, stir-fry under high heat for a couple of minutes and sprinkle with black pepper (It is very hard to cook noodle with a spatula without breaking the noodles, I recommend using a long chopsticks to stir fry the noodle. It could make your cooking much easier and more importantly, help the seasoning distribute evenly and well absorbed by the ingredients).
And now, it’s time to enjoy!
Below is how I made this dish step-by-step. The total time needed is about less than 30 minutes!I hope you enjoy making this super flavorful beef lo mein at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- ⅛ pound beef, cut into long pieces
- 1 serving Lo Mein noodles
- 1 red banana pepper, cut into long pieces
- 1 green banana pepper, cut into long pieces
- half onion, sliced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- a touch of black pepper
- a touch of toasted sesame seeds for topping (optional)
- For marinating the beef:
- a touch of salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- For seasoning:
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- a touch of sugar
- Marinate the beef with salt, soy sauce and cooking wine for about 10 minutes.
- Cook the Lo Mein noodles following the direction, rinse under cold water, drain well and set aside.
- Mix oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, cooking wine and sugar in a container for later use.
- Heat pan under medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil into the pan and stir in the beef, cook for about 2 minutes until the color has changed, set the beef aside.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of oil into the pan and add in the onion, sautéfor about 2 minutes until browned, add the peppers and garlic into the pan, continue stir-frying for another 2-3 minutes until soft. Stir the cooked beef back into the pan and cook for another 1 minute.
- Carefully add the noodles into the pan and pour the sauce evenly around the pan.
- Turn to high heat, stir-fry the noodles for about 2 minutes until heated through (make sure all the ingredients are mixed well and the sauce is evenly distributed, recommend to use a long chop stick for stir-frying the noodles)
- Sprinkle the black pepper around the pan, cook for another 1 minute.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds to serve (optional)