I am excited to share the recipe of a popular Chinese noodle dish (originated from Szechuan cuisine) – Dan Dan Noodle (担担面). This flavorful noodle dish is so easy to make yet I promise will rock your palate.
To start, I whisked soy sauce, Chinese vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, peppercorn chili oil in a bowl and tossed some chopped green onion, garlic and ginger on top.
To save time, I have been heating a medium pot of water on the stove already. When the water starts to boil, I added in the noodle and let it boil for a couple of minutes (stir the noodles occasionally to avoid sticking).
When the noodles have almost been fully cooked but not yet, I added some nappa cabbage and wait a couple of more minutes until the cabbage is soft and the noodles have been cooked through. (Feel free to use other vegetables that are available to you, spinach, lettuce are both great choices for example.
Before transferring the noodles and nappa cabbage into the bowl, I poured about two spoons worth of boiling water (just use the water for boiling the noodles) into the bowl to dilute the seasonings.
Now that the noodles and vegetable are both ready, I am going to cook the meat topping for this dish. I stirred fry the ground pork until they have changed color. Then seasoned the pork with Chinese sweet paste sauce, soy sauce and transferred the meat on top of the noodles when is done.
I like to garnish the noodle with some fried onion(commonly used for Vietnamese cuisine, optional) and toasted sesame seeds, chopped peanuts work well too. Sometimes, I like to make a deluxe version by adding a fried egg on top.
Mix the noodle well with chopsticks and enjoy! This recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners or quick meals. You will find yourself making this dish a lot like I do.
Here is an overview of how I made Dan Dan noodle in just 20 minutes!
I hope you enjoy making this tasty dan dan noodle at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 serving Asian noodles
- a handful of nappa cabbage or any other leafy vegetables
- Fried onion for topping (optional)
- Meat topping:
- half cup ground pork
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet paste sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn chili oil
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 slice ginger, minced
- Mix soy sauce, Chinese vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, peppercorn chili oil in a bowl and add green onion, ginger and garlic on top, set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil, add in the noodles, cook 2-3 minutes, add in the nappa cabbage or vegetable of your choice, cook for another 2-3 minutes until cooked through, stir with chopsticks occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Pour about 2 spoons worth of boiling water into the bowl (use the water for boiling the noodles is fine)
- Fish out the noodles and vegetable, drain and transfer to the bowl.
- Heat oil in a skillet, stir in the pork, sauté until changed color over medium-low heat, add sweet paste sauce and soy sauce, stir to mix well, cook for another 1-2 minutes, transfer on top of the noodles.
- Top with fried onion to serve.