This Chinese braised pork ribs dish is a classic traditional Chinese dish almost every Chinese family knows how to cook and loves. It’s a must-have for major holidays such as Spring Festival (a.k.a. Chinese New Year).
To make sure the pork ribs are tender and juicy, there are two tips that are particularly helpful.
1) At the beginning, immerse the pork ribs in cold water and then bring it to boil to let the blood contained in the pork ribs to slowly come out.
2) Later in the cooking process, when about to simmer the cooked pork ribs, add in hot water instead of cold water into the pan and then start simmering. If it helps, here is how I like to remember them: ” cold first, hot after”.
Below is a summary of how I made this dish with pictures.I hope you enjoy making this delicious Chinese braised pork ribs at home. If you like this recipe, leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 pound short pork ribs
- 2 stalks green onion, cut into 2-inch long strips
- 3-4 slices of ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic, slice in half
- 2 star anises
- a handgul of cilantro
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cooking wine
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Add the pork ribs into the pan together with about 2 cups of cold water, and bring it to boil over medium-high heat (takes about 5 minutes for me), boil for about 1-2 minutes until the pork is no longer pink, discard the water in the pan and rinse the pork ribs under running cold water for about 30 seconds, drain well and set aside.
- Whisk the soy sauce, dark soy sauce and cooking wine in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in the dry deep fry pan over medium-high heat, toss in the ginger, garlic, green onion and star anise, sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the pork ribs and stir fry for about 5 minutes until browned on both sides.
- Add the sauce prepared in step 4 into the pan, stir to make sure the pork ribs are evenly coated with the sauce.
- Pour in the hot water and turn to medium-low heat and simmer for about 7 minutes with lid off until there is only ¼ sauce left in the pan.
- Toss in the salt and sugar and gently stir, turn to medium heat and keep simmering for another 3 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Top with green onion to serve and enjoy!
Was a great and fast way to cook this. Thanks for posting.
You are very welcome, glad you liked it!
everything looks so delicious