I am one happy gal today. I just combined two of my favorite ingredients – pork belly and homemade crispy potato slices into one delicious pork belly and crispy potato stir fry dish.
Most of the time, I cook recipes I know by heart. But trying out a new way to cook once in a while is also a lot of fun. When the new dish comes out tasting good, there is an extra sense of achievement about it.
This pork belly and crispy potato stir fry dish is one example of that sort of spontaneity, I can’t wait to share it with you!
The thin and crispy potato slices are the best part of this dish! (yes, I said it. I think these potato slices are even better than pork belly.)
Here are some tips on how to make the potato slices crispy:
After you cut the potato into thin slices (at least 1/20-inch thin would be ideal), rinse them under running water first and then pat dry with a paper towel.
It helps to remove most of the starch off the surface. The starch on the surface will turn to sugar, which in turn causes the potato slices to over brown easily.
In a non-stick pan, add in a touch of oil and then spread the potato slices on the pan in a single layer. Under low heat, heat them for about 3-4 minutes on each side, these thin slices will turn crisp and brown.
Besides the texture of the potato slices and the taste of the pork belly, another highlight is the aromatic ingredients.
Other than the combination of ginger and garlic which are commonly used to add aroma to a sauté, soup or sauce. I also added dried chili pepper and peppercorn into the dish, to create a hot and numbing sensation.
Serve this dish with rice or noodle, there is your delicious meal!
I hope you enjoy making this tasty Pork Belly and Crispy Potato Stir Fry. If you like this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 4- 5 pork belly slices, cut into large pieces
- half a potato, cut into thin slices
- 1 long green pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3-4 ginger slices
- a handful of dried chili pepper, cut into small pieces
- a touch of peppercorn (optional)
- a touch of salt (1/8 teaspoon)
- a touch of black pepper
- half a tablespoon soy sauce
- a touch of sugar (1/8 teaspoon)
- Rinse the potato slices under running water to wash the starch off the surface, drain well and dry with a paper towel.
- In a non-stick pan, add some oil and spread the potato slices in a single layer, cook the potato slices with low heat for about 3 minutes each side until crisp and browned, set aside (cook in batches, if needed).
- After removing the potato from the pan, add in the pork belly slices, sprinkle with some salt and black pepper, pan fry for about 5 minutes until cooked and browned, set aside the pork belly, drain most of the oil in the pan, leaving about 1 tablespoon worth.
- Toss in green pepper, ginger, garlic, dried chili pepper and peppercorn, stir fry for 2-3 minutes under medium-high heat until fragrant.
- Stir in the pork belly and potato slices and add soy sauce and sugar, stir fry for another 1-2 minutes and then remove from heat, plate and serve.