Hey guys, today I am going to share my all-time favorite appetizer recipe – Potato Pancake with Bacon. I call this dish hash browns with an Asian twist.
If you have visited this food blog before, you are probably familiar with my food style. I like to share Asian recipes that are tasty and also easy to make. This recipe is no exception.
I am 100% sure that you are gonna love this dish and will want to make them frequently like I do.
First, I chopped the potato into 1-inch cubes and made a purée with the help of a food processor. I recently bought this food processor from Amazon after reading customer reviews and am loving it. This 3.5 cups little food processor is perfect for a tiny kitchen like ours. I recommend it if you are looking for a basic, affordable food processor that does not take up a lot space in the kitchen.
Next, I mixed the potato purée, diced red onion, cooked bacon(chopped), flour, potato starch, salt and black pepper to make a batter. The amount of batter is enough to make about six 3-inch pancakes.
To make the pancakes, I first spread some oil and then I used a ladle to scoop some batter onto the non-stick pan. I then waited 2-3 minutes until the bottom had set before shaking the pan. I fry it for about 5 mins on that side, and then flip them and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes, until they are browned on both sides. Then turn the stove to high heat and pan fry for another minute to make sure both sides have that great crispy texture.
The dipping sauce is the icing on the cake for this dish, gives it an Asian twist. It could be made by simply whisking soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, toasted sesame seeds and freshly chopped green onion together (the amount for each ingredient are listed in the recipe section at the end of this post). This sauce is great with other appetizers dishes such as pan fried dumplings or potstickers as well.
This dish is extremely delicious and I hope that you love it as much as I do; enjoy it on days when you are feeling down and it will put a smile on your face!
Here is an overview of how I made this potato pancake with bacon in about half an hour, enjoy the recipe below.
I hope you enjoy making this tasty potato pancake with bacon at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- For the batter:
- 1 medium potato, cut into small dices and purée with a food chopper.
- half a red onion, diced
- 4-5 slices crispy bacon, chopped
- half a cup flour
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Dipping sauce:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- a handful of chopped green onion
- Whisk soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, toasted sesame seeds and green onion in a small bowl and set aside to serve as dipping sauce later.
- Cut a potato into small dices first and throw into a food chopper to make a purée.
- Mix potato purée, red onion, bacon, flour, potato starch, salt and pepper in a big bowl to make the batter.
- In a non-stick pan, add a touch of oil and heat over medium heat, shake the pan around to let the oil spread evenly.
- Use a large ladle spoon, carefully pour the batter onto the pan and then form a round shape with the spatula, continue the process to make several pancakes until the pan is full.
- Pan fry for about 5 minutes one side. (wait at least 2-3 minutes until the batter is set before shaking the pan to avoid sticking.)
- Flip the pancakes around and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the pancake again, turn to high heat, and pan fry for another minute until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy with the dipping sauce!