What is cantonese casserole rice (煲仔饭)? It is a classic cantonese dish made of meat and vegetables over steamed rice and served in a ceramic pot. When cooked right, the bottom of the rice will turn to crispy rice crust. It is a unique feature of this dish.
This delicious dish can be prepared with so many different types of toppings. The most popular is the Chinese sausage. It can be find at Chinese grocery stores or online. Other popular choices of topping are: pork ribs, chicken and mushroom or Chinese cured bacon.
Delicious ingredients and rice all simmered and slow-cooked in a ceramic pot, this dish is a great winter comfort food. When is time to enjoy, remember to get a spoonful of everything, especially the crispy rice crust at the bottom!
I hope you enjoy making Cantonese Casserole Rice. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- half a cup white rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 2 Chinese sausages, sliced
- a handful of broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- a touch of shredded ginger
- For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- half a tablespoon oyster sauce
- half a tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoons water
- a quarter teaspoon sugar
- Soak the rice in water for half an hour.
- Whisk soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, water, sugar and salt in a small container and set aside.
- Drain the rice, move them to a ceramic pot and add some water into the pot (the depth of the water should be about half an inch above the rice), drizzle with some oil and mix well.
- Move the pot onto the stove top, turn to high heat, cook for a couple of minutes with lid on until the water starts to boil.
- After the water starts to boil, cook for another 1 minute under high heat.
- Turn to low heat, and simmer with lid on for a couple of more minutes until the water in the rice has disappeared and it appears dry.
- Lay Chinese style sausage slices and ginger onto the rice and crack a egg beside.
- Simmer for another couple of minutes under low heat with lid on until the sausage and egg have been cooked through.
- Lay the broccoli onto the rice, put the lid back on and continue to simmer for a little while until the broccoli is cooked.
- Sprinkle the green onion over the rice and let it simmer for another 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce over the rice and serve, remember to use oven mitts when touching the ceramic pot, it will be very hot.
Hi Ms. Emma! What is the serving size? Lastly is there an alternative to the clay pot. (Iron skillet?) Can we improvise here with a different pan?
Hi Melinda, the serving size is 1. As for alternative to clay pot, I recommend dutch oven. Hope is helpful.