One of the things I enjoy doing is using ingredients in ways that are nonconventional yet still makes sense. This Chili Oil Noodles Made With Wonton Wrap recipe I am going to share is a good example.
Chili Oil Noodles (or Hot Oil Noodles) is a popular Chinese dish originated from Szechuan cuisine. It has a bold flavor (this is a spicy dish) and very easy to make. Above are the ingredients needed for this recipe, pretty simple!
For this recipe, I used wonton wrappers to replace the noodles (I will explain why in a little bit). The wonton wrappers were cut into three equal parts and served as “flat noodles” for this dish.
I was craving this dish the other day. While I was getting ready to make this dish by gathering ingredients. I realized we just ran out of noodles in the kitchen, bummer!
Then I saw the pack of the wonton wrap in our fridge. The idea of replacing the noodles in the original recipe with these wonton wrappers came to my mind.
I have heard of people using wonton wrappers as lasagna sheets and it worked great. My instinct tells me they should work great as a replacement for noodles as well. And it did!
This dish takes only less than 10 minutes to make and will wow you with it’s nutty and spicy flavor! It will be a great appetizer to add to your meal.
I hope you enjoy making this Chili Oil “Noodles” Made With Wonton Wrap. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- About 30 wonton wraps, cut into three parts
- 2 stalks bok choy, cleaned and separate the leaves from the stems
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground chili powder
- ¼ cup Chinese vinegar
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup oil
- Bring a medium pot of water into boil over high heat.
- Add wonton wrap strips and bok choy into the boiling water, cook for 2-3 minutes until the wonton wrap has turned translucent and cooked through, stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Remove from pan, drain well and transfer to a container.
- Season with Chinese vinegar and soy sauce and then put garlic, green onion and ground chili powder on top.
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat until you see some smoke, immediately remove from pan, and carefully pour on top of the ingredients.
- Mix everything well and enjoy.