Today I am going to share a very popular traditional Chinese recipe – Chinese sausage mushroom rice with you.
Dried shiitake mushroom and Chinese sausage are two of the most common ingredients used for making Chinese food. You could easily find them in most of the Asian markets.
Chinese sausage sold in stores are conveniently packaged and made in USA. So, don’t let the fact that you are not familiar with the main ingredients used in this dish to keep you from giving this dish a try. I assure you that once you have tasted it, you will like it.
I used a rice cooker to make the white rice for this dish. Rice cooker is an essential cooking appliance in a Chinese family’s kitchen. Here is a link to the rice cooker I am currently using.
Below is a summary of how I made this dish with pictures.I hope you enjoy making this comforting Chinese sausage and mushroom simmered rice at home. If you like this recipe, please give a rating and share it with your friends!
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in ¾ cup of cold water for 15 minutes, squeeze the excess water out of the re-hydrated mushrooms, sliced them into pieces and set aside the water used to soak the mushrooms for later use.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat, stir fry the Chinese sausage and mushrooms for about 3-4 minutes until fragrant and set aside.
- Whisk the soy sauce, dark soy sauce, cooking wine, sugar and the water used to soak the mushrooms in a small bowl, set aside.
- Heat a clay pot cooker over medium heat, brush the inside of the pot with a little bit of oil, add the cooked white rice into the pot, and evenly pour the sauce from above step onto the rice, lay the Chinese sausage and shiitake mushroom slices evenly onto the rice, simmer for about 10 minutes with lid on.
- Drizzle with a touch of sesame oil and top with chopped green onion and serve.