I decided to make a comforting noodle soup for lunch today with the ingredients available in the fridge. Later tonight, when it’s morning in China, I’ll give my family a call. It’s been a while since I last talked to my mom. I want to tell my parents that I miss them and I miss her noodle soup.
Here is the recipe for this dish, hope you guys find it helpful. Feel free to replace some of the ingredients I used below with what’s available at your hand. I like this dish to be a free-style noodle soup that’s easy for everyone to make at home.
To make a nutrition balanced meal, as well as a tasty soup base, for the main ingredients of this dish; I choose to use a small bunch of spinach, some oyster mushrooms (they’ll help release great flavors to the soup and I love the texture of the mushrooms), a couple of chicken meatballs. I used a Japanese-style Somen Noodle for this dish, it’s very soft and takes only a couple of minutes to cook.
Other than freshly chopped green onion, I also threw some fried onion for topping to add flavor for my noodle, but this is totally optional. Below is a overview of how to make this dish. The total time needed is about 25 minutes.I hope you enjoy making this comforting noodle soup at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 serving Somen noodles
- 4 chicken meatballs
- ⅓ bunch spinach, throughly rinsed and trimmed
- ⅙ pound oyster mushroom, trimmed
- 2-3 stalks green onion, chopped
- a handful of fried onion for topping(optional)
- For seasoning:
- ½ teaspoon salt
- a touch of white pepper
- a touch of sesame oil
- Bring a large bowl of salted water to boil over high heat, and carefully add in the Somen noodle, cook for 3-4 minute until the noodle has turned soft (stir occasionally), fish the noodle out, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- After discarding the water used to cook the noodle, add 3 cups water back into the pot and bring to boil under high heat.
- Carefully add in the chicken meat balls and mushroom, boil for about 3 minutes until cooked through, add noodle and spinach into the pot, cook for another minute until the spinach has turned soft.
- Toss in a touch of salt, white pepper and drizzle with a touch of sesame oil for seasoning.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onion to serve.