Today I am excited to share with you a tasty spam fried rice recipe! If you are a fried rice lover like me, you are going to LOVE this recipe! It’s super flavorful and very easy to assemble.
Never made fried rice at home? Not a worry! I have a few tips on how to make the perfect egg fried rice to share with you. With the help of these tips, anyone can make mouthwatering fried rice without breaking a sweat.
Are you ready? Let’s jump right in.
Let me start by introducing the main ingredients. To cook for two, I used:
- two cups cooked white rice (recommend using long-grain rice, I used jasmine rice)
- one can of spam meat (about 7 oz.)
- two cups mixed vegetables (blend of corn, carrots, green beans & peas)
- two eggs, beaten
- one stalk green onion, chopped for garnish
How to make the perfect fried rice?
Tip One: Use Leftover Rice
When it comes to making fried rice, fresh isn’t necessarily better. Leftover rice is actually more ideal. Compared to the warm just-cooked rice, cold leftover rice is drier and easier to separate during cooking. Use it to make the fried rice, the final product is less likely to turn soggy.
What do you mean by leftover rice?
Leftover rice typically refers to cooked rice that’s either day-old or has been refrigerated overnight at least. What I like to do is cook extra rice for dinner the night before and store them in the refrigerator to make the fried rice the next day.
Tip Two: Mix with egg mixture before cooking
During preparation, I transferred the rice to a large bowl and added oil (1 tablespoon), two eggs (beaten) and mixed everything together until it looked like the picture above.
Oil helps to keep the rice from sticking together and by mixing, each grain of rice is thoroughly covered by the egg. After cooking, the fried rice will have a nice golden color like the picture below.
With the second tip, there is no need to struggle to break the large rice clumps during cooking anymore and the fried rice will come out looking super appealing. 🙂
Tip Three: Pre-cook the frozen mixed vegetables
Frozen mixed vegetables are pre-cut and contain a variety of vegetables, they come in very handy when making fried rice. If you choose to use frozen mixed vegetables, I recommend blanching them beforehand to set aside as my third tip on how to make the perfect fried rice.
This will help 1) Shorten the cooking time 2) Avoid the release of extra moisture from the frozen vegetables to the fried rice as they warm up.
Here’s a recap of all three tips to help you make the perfect fried rice without a sweat:
- Use leftover rice.
- Mix the rice with egg mixture before cooking
- Pre-cook the frozen mixed vegetables
They are game changers for me. I hope you’ll find them helpful as well 🙂
For the finishing touch to the fried rice, sprinkle some freshly chopped green onion on top and the job is done! My favorite way to serve the spam fried rice is adding a sunny-side-up egg and some sriracha sauce.
If you are looking for a fried rice, give this recipe a try, it won’t let you down!
Share this recipe with your friends or leave a comment below and let us know your thoughts about this recipe. Cheers and see you next time!
- 2 cups leftover cooked white rice (preferably long-grain rice such as jasmine rice)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 can of spam meat (about 7 oz.), cut into half-inch cubes
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (blend of corn, carrots, green beans & peas)
- 1 tablespoon of oil for stir-frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped for garnish
- Combine leftover rice, egg and sesame oil in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly with hand and set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil, add the frozen mixed vegetables into the pot, cook 1-2 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan till shimmering over medium heat, add the spam cubes, stir-fry 3-4 minutes or until light golden brown. Transfer the spam cube to a small bowl and set aside, leave the oil in the pan.
- Carefully add the rice (mixed with egg and sesame oil), stir-fry 7-8 minutes or until the rice is no longer sticks together, became dry and fluffy (Means the egg has been cooked).
- Turn to high heat, add the pre-cooked mixed vegetables, stir-fry for a minute.
- Stir in the lightly browned spam cubes, stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a large plate, sprinkle with chopped green onion to serve.
- Drizzled with Sriracha, or add a fried egg on top if desired.
- Enjoy while hot!
2. You can substitute sesame oil with another type of oil to mix with the rice.
3. Since the spam is very salty, this dish only needs a little bit of seasoning.
4. Check in the post above for three tips to make the perfect egg fried rice.