Christmas is just around the corner, so what better way to let the people in our lives know how much they mean to us than delicious homemade food? That’s why I am very excited to share my special recipe for finger lickin’ good mini fruit pie wontons with you today.
This post was created in partnership with Hero, a maker of premium jams and fruit spreads.
Founded in 1886 in Lenzberg, Switzerland, Hero is a brand long preferred by professional chefs for its authentic goodness, quality of fruit and wide array of varieties such asRed Currant, Black Currant, and Black Cherry.
I promise that any product that I use within my recipes will be represented honestly and that this blog will remain committed to only using healthy, ethical and delicious ingredients, I would never write about an ingredient I wouldn’t use myself!
What’s a mini fruit pie wonton?
These are not your traditional holiday pies, but pies with an Asian twist! Made with wonton wrappers and fruit filling, they’re deep-fried until golden-brown on the outside, but gooey on the inside.
By using Hero fruit spreads, I was able to save a few steps while making the fruit filling. It has more fruit than other jams which gives it a fruitier taste without being too sweet.
I also like the fact that Hero fruit spreads contain NO artificial flavors, colors or ingredients, no high fructose corn syrup or preservatives. It makes me feel good to serve my family food made with only all-natural ingredients.
To create the filling, I simply mixed the Hero blueberry/strawberry fruit spreads with fresh fruit and some flour and Voila! The filling took me less than a minute to make.
Did I mention that these mini fruit pie wontons are super easy to make? Here’s how I did it.
First, I grabbed a wonton wrapper and lay it flat on the cutting board. Then, I added about one tablespoon worth of fruit fillings onto the wrapper (slightly to the side and leaving some room from the edge.)
After that, I wet the edge with a little water, folded the wonton wrap over and created small pleats by pressing with a fork.
The best way to cook these mini pies is to deep fry them until crisp and golden brown. Before serving, sift a little bit of powdered sugar on top for extra sweetness!
I guarantee these crispy-on-the-outside, sweet-on-the-inside mini fruit pie wontons are going to be a crowd pleaser at your Christmas party this year. Remember to act quick though, ‘cos these babies will go fast!
Note: You can find Hero fruit spreads in the Jam aisle of your local supermarket; Hero is available at the following merchants: Shop Rite, Stop & Shop, ACME, King Kullen, Key Food, Kings, Balducci’s, Fairway, Shaw’s, Market Basket, Price Chopper, Ralph’s, HEB, Harris Teeter and Giant Eagle.
Visit the Hero website to learn more about each product and fruit variety.
- Blueberry filling:
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup Hero fruit spread, blueberry flavor
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Strawberry filling:
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup Hero fruit spread, strawberry flavor
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 dozen wonton wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 large pot of oil for deep frying
- a touch of powdered sugar for topping
- a handful of fresh mint leaves for garnishing
- Combine fresh blueberries, blueberry jam and flour in a bowl, stir to mix well.
- Repeat to make the strawberry filling.
- Place a wonton wrapper on a lightly floured cutting board and spoon about 1 tablespoon of the filling on one side of the wrapper.
- Dip your fingers in egg mixture and wet the outer edge of the wonton wrapper.
- Fold the wrapper in half over the filling, making a half-sqaure shape.
- Pinch the edges together and then seal the edges with a fork, make sure all the filling stays inside.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Heat a large pot of oil to 350- 375 °F, deep fry the mini fruit pies in medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until the color of the wrapper turns golden brown.
- Cook in small batches as needed.
- Rest the mini fruit pies on paper towel to drain oil and transfer to a large plate.
- Top them with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh mint leaves to serve and enjoy while warm!