In cold winter days, nothing is more perfect for me than a cup of warm and delicious homemade hot chocolate with cinnamon to help take the chill off and put a smile on my face!
To make two servings of hot chocolate enough to fill two 16-ounces mason jars, I used a quarter cup non-sweet cocoa powder, two tablespoons sugar, one teaspoon salt and four cups skim milk.
One of my favorite things to do is adding toppings to the homemade hot chocolate! This time, I used marshmallows, a pinch of cocoa powder and a broken cinnamon stick. They are just perfect complements to the hot chocolate!
Here is the recipe, if you like it, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- ½ cup non-sweet cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 cups whole or skim milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- a handful of marshmallow for topping
- Whisk together cocoa powder, salt, sugar and 2 cups milk in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat until no lumps remain and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Add in the rest of the milk, gently stir to mix well and then remove from heat.
- Pour the hot chocolate into two mason jars, top with marshmallows, cinnamon sticks and a touch of cocoa powder and enjoy!
A rapid simmer is just below a full boil, where there will be a lot of small bubbles on the surface.