Korean cheesy hot rice cakes? Yup, that’s right.
Speaking of rice cakes, people immediately think of the crispy rice snacks. But that’s not this recipe is about.
I am actually referring to a kind of rice cakes commonly used to make a popular Korean dish – tteokbokki. These cylinder-shaped rice cakes are made of sticky rice and have a chewy texture.
These cheesy and hot rice cake skewers are perfect appetizer/snack. Having a party soon? This recipe will definitely come in handy!
You can prepare it in less than 30 minutes with only a few ingredients that can be easily found in any Korean grocery stores. Think of them as a snack version of tteokbokki.
Above are the ingredients: tteokbokki rice cakes, homemade hot sauce, and shredded cheddar cheese, that’s all you need!
After boiling the rice cakes for about three minutes, I rinsed them under water to wash away the starchy coating. And put them on small bamboo kabob skewers to make rice cake kabobs. They look cute, didn’t they?
Here comes the exciting part: coat them with a spicy, delicious and addicting homemade hot sauce made with Korean hot pepper paste (gochujang), ketchup, honey and toasted sesame seeds!
Before putting them into the oven, I sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese on top to finish it up. This is my favorite part of the dish.
When baked, the melted cheddar cheese on top and gooey rice cakes married together seamlessly. You get the flavor and texture all in one bite.
To receive future recipe updates, you can follow me on instagram or join my newsletter. (We don’t spam, promise!)
Here are the other delicious rice cake recipes I have shared. If you want to give them a try as well:
> Spicy Rice Cakes (Tteokbokki)
> Shanghai Style Rice Cake Soup
> Slow-cooked Pork Rib and Rice Cake
Leave a comment below to let us know your thoughts about this recipe.
Cheers and see you next time!
- About 20 pieces of rice cakes (cylinder-shaped rice cakes, commonly used to make tteokbokki
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Hot sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Korean hot pepper paste
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Add Korean rice cakes into a medium pot of water and bring to boil over high heat, stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Boil for about 3 minutes, rinse under cold water and drain well.
- Thread the rice cakes onto the skewers and save for later use.
- Whisk Korean hot pepper paste, ketchup, honey and sesame seeds in a container as the sauce.
- Brush the spicy sauce onto the rice cake skewers evenly and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, while waiting, get a sheet of aluminum foil to lie flat on a baking sheet and place the rice cake skewers on the foil.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a small plate to serve, enjoy while hot!