I am excited to share today’s shrimp and broccoli stir-fry with you. The sweet and sour shrimp with fresh broccoli combination is delicious and healthy. If you are looking for an easy-to-make dinner recipe, I would recommend giving this a try.
To make this dish, you’ll need cooked shrimp, broccoli florets, sliced tomato, ginger and chopped green onion, quite simple.
I began by adding the broccoli into salted boiling water, cook until they are crisp-tender (takes about 2 minutes once the water returns to a boil) and cool it down with ice water. This quick and simple technique is called blanching. For presentation, I arranged the broccoli florets around the edge of the plate.
When it’s time to make the sauce. I sautéd the ginger and scallion first until it’s fragrant, then I poured the seasonings into the pan and heated until simmering.
I made the seasoning mixture by combining ketchup, water, cooking wine, salt, sugar and black pepper in a bowl and setting aside before cooking.
The role of tomato in this dish is to achieve a stronger umami taste and add texture. It should be add into the pan before the shrimp and sautéed until soft.
Cooked shrimps take just 1-2 minutes to heat through, they should be added last. Make sure to stir frequently so the sauce will be evenly spread.
Enjoy this delicious shrimp and broccoli stir fry with a bowl of rice or noodle for a fast and delicious meal. I guarantee you’ll love the sweet and sour shrimp!
Here is an recap of how I made the Shrimp and Broccoli Stir-fry in less than 20 minutes!
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 stalk broccoli, tear or cut into small pieces
- half a pound cooked and peeled shrimp
- 1 tomato, cut into 8 pieces
- 3-4 slices fresh ginger, cut into strings
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- For seasoning:
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk ketchup, water, cooking wine, salt, sugar and black pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil over high heat, toss in a touch of sugar, salt and oil.
- Carefully add in the broccoli, wait until the water starts to boil again, cook for another 2 minutes, fish the broccoli out, rinse under cold water or place in the ice bath, drain well and place around a plate.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, stir fry ginger and green onion for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in the sauce made in step one and continue to cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in the tomato, stir fry for about 2 minutes until soft.
- Add the shrimp into the pan, stir fry for about 2 minutes and make sure the sauce spreads evenly.
- Top with chopped green onion to serve.