This steamed egg with baby shrimp and mushroom is an upgrade to the basic Chinese steamed egg recipe. I added a few more ingredients (see below) to achieve a stronger taste and better nutrition.
Chinese steamed egg (水蒸蛋) is a popular dish among Chinese families. It takes less than 15 minutes to make and is great for warming you up on a winter day. When asked to describe this dish, I like to use “Savory Egg Custard” to help give people an idea.
The ingredients I used in addition to egg and water are carrots, dried baby shrimps and dried shiitake mushrooms (and scallion for garnish).
If you have never heard of dried baby shrimps, don’t worry. Let me tell you a little bit about this wonderful ingredient.
Dried baby shrimps are baby shrimps that have been sun-dried. They are used frequently in Chinese cuisine to add a unique savory taste to the dish. They are rich in calcium and often considered a healthy ingredient in China.
Making this dish is incredibly easy. All you need to do is mixing the eggs with water, add the other ingredients and steam cook for a few minutes.
This healthy and nutritious dish serves as a great appetizer or side dish.
I hope you enjoy making this Steamed Egg with Dried Shrimp and Mushroom. If you like this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and diced
- a handful of baby shrimp (optional, baby shrimp is a great source for calcium, I love adding them into my food)
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- a touch of sugar
- a touch of sesame oil
- a touch of salt if not using the baby shrimp, otherwise, the baby shrimp is salty and no need to add salt
- Crack two eggs in a bowl and slowly add a cup warm water into the egg and mix well.
- Add carrot, mushroom and baby shrimp into the egg mixture and toss in a touch of sugar for taste.
- Gently place the bowl onto a prepared steamer. Turn to high heat and wait for the water to boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and steam for about 7-8 minutes or until set.
- Carefully open the lid, and steam for another 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped green onion and sesame oil to serve.