Today I am going to share with you how to make a tasty egg drop soup with oyster mushrooms.
Let me start by introducing the ingredients. I had one cup worth of oyster mushrooms (available in most Asian markets or online such as Fresh Direct), two eggs, two cups chicken stock, a handful chopped scallion, half teaspoon grated ginger and one tablespoon potato starch mixed with water to serve as thickener for the soup.
Once the all the ingredients are in place, making the actual egg drop soup only takes a few minutes!
First, I added the mushrooms, ginger and scallions all to a pot, then I poured in the chicken stock, and seasoned with soy sauce and white pepper.
Once the stock starts to boil, I reduced the heat to simmer and slowly poured in the eggs while stirring the soup.
The egg will quickly spread out into ribbons, and once it’s set, I added the starch water and keep simmering for another one to two minutes to thicken the soup.
Before serving this dish, I added a few more chopped scallions and a touch of sesame oil on top. And served this soup while hot.
Here is an overview of how I made this Egg Drop Soup at home in just 20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy making egg drop soup at home. If you like this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- Whisk potato starch with a little bit chicken stock in a small bowl and set aside.
- Grab a medium pot, add in mushrooms, ginger and green onion first.
- Followed by pouring in the chicken stock, and tossing in soy sauce and white pepper, stir gently to mix well.
- Bring the stock to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to simmer, carefully pour in the beaten eggs while stirring.
- After the egg has spread out into ribbons and set, slowly pour in the starch mixture and keep simmering for another 1-2 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Top with a few more chopped green onions and a touch of sesame oil to serve while hot.