In my home town, one of the most popular ways to make a dish with chive is pancake. Today, I am going to share with you the recipe for this Chive Pancake dish.
Spring is the best season to enjoy Chinese chives. Chive is a very healthy vegetable that’s low in calories and high in nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Let get started!
After mixing flour with water and eggs, I cut the chives into pieces and mixed them with the batter.
I spread just a little bit of oil evenly onto the pan over medium heat, and poured in about one-third of the mixture. After pan-fried for five minutes on each side, the pancake should look like the picture below.
You could always adjust the cooking time if you feel like the chives haven’t been cooked through yet.
My apartment was filled with the mouth-watering fragrant while I was making the chive pancakes. I like dipping them with a touch of soy sauce before eating.
Below is how I made this dish step-by-step. The total time needed is about 40 minutes to make three 4-inch chive pancakes.
I hope you enjoy making this tasty chive pancake at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 bunch chives, clean, trim the ends and cut into 1-inch long strips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce for dipping
- Put flour and eggs in a container, slowly pour water into the container, keep stirring to make sure everything is mixed well.
- Toss in the salt into the batter and add the chives into the mixture, set aside.
- Spread the oil evenly onto a non-stick pan over medium heat, carefully pour about ⅓ of the mixture into the pan and create a round shape, cook for about 4-5 minutes each side and remove the pancake from the pan, continue the process until all the mixture is used.
- Dip in the soy sauce and enjoy.
This looks delicious, but I’d like to know how many chives I should use before I attempt this. How many cups or grams would you suggest? My chives are growing in my garden, so I’m not sure how many would come in a bunch.
Great question, chives do tend to shrink after cooking. I normally buy them in the grocery store and they came in a pre-packed bunch weight about 1 pound. After trimming the ends, and chop them up, I normally left with about 2-3 cups worth, hope is helpful!
I just made these. Oh my, they are really good. I didn’t use 2-3 cups of chives . I used about 1 1/2 cups and I chopped them finer than the recipe called for. Just my preference. Thank you for the recipe. Will definitely make again.
Woohoo! Well done!
The flavour is very subtle despite the fragrant cooking smells. Addition of a small amount of baking powder improves the texture. We experimented with dips – soy sauce was too salty. It definitely needs some dipping sauce.