Hi veggie lovers, today I am going to share a super easy nappa cabbage and mushroom stir fry. Be sure to add this dish to your weeknight dinner recipe collection!
To make this dish, first, I drizzled the pan with about 3 tablespoons worth of oil (that’s all the oil you need for making most stir fry dishes), and wait for a minute to heat it up. Then I toss in the garlic and dried chili peppers to do a quick sauté (after about 30 seconds, you should be able to smell the wonderful fragrance).Next, I sauté the shiitake mushroom (rehydrate and sliced) and dried baby shrimps for about a minute.
Dried baby shrimp is a popular ingredient in China, we always make sure there are some stored in our pantry. It’s often used to make dishes like Chinese seaweed soup (紫菜汤), steamed egg (蒸蛋) or vegetable stir fry. It’s a great source of calcium and could help boost flavor of the dish.
Nappa cabbage takes only 2-3 minutes to turn soft when stir fried. You’ll notice the nappa cabbage shrink significantly in size and turns translucent when they are soft.
The seasoning of the dish is really really simple, just a teaspoon worth of Chinese vinegar, some salt and sugar. Using Chinese vinegar to season nappa cabbage is a tip my mom taught me, the hint of vinegar flavor helps to bring out the vegetable’s subtle sweetness.
It’s time to enjoy! I like to reward myself by grabbing a pair of chopsticks and digging into this meal with a lot of white rice. I often find myself very full after eating this dish, because when the flavor is so good, it’s really hard for me to put down the chopsticks.
Here is an overview of how to make this nappa cabbage and mushroom dish in just 15 minutes!
I hope you enjoy making this healthy and easy nappa cabbage and mushroom at home. If you like this recipe, don’t forget to leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 head medium nappa cabbage, clean and cut into big pieces
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrate and sliced
- a handful of dried baby shrimps (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2-3 dried chili pepper, sliced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-low heat, add garlic and chili peppers, sauté 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in the baby shrimps and shiitake mushrooms, sauté one minute.
- Add in the nappa cabbage, stir fry 2 minutes until soft.
- Toss in Chinese vinegar, salt and sugar, stir fry another 1-2 minutes to serve.
When first add nappa cabbage into the pan, they probably will fill the entire pan, after cooking for a minute or two, they will turned soft and start to shrink in size.