Yum! That’s the sound in my mind every time I think about this stir-fried udon with shrimp. It’s a dish full of great flavor and texture. You’ll be able to experience bouncy shrimp, crunchy vegetable and chewy udon noodles all in one bite. I can’t wait to share with you guys how to make this delicious shrimp stir-fried udon noodles at home!
When making stir fries, I almost always start with sautéing garlic and ginger to release their wonderful fragrance into the oil. The assorted vegetables I used to make this dish are onion, carrot, cabbage and bean sprouts. I choose to stir fry the onion first because it takes a bit longer than the other vegetables.
I added the cooked shrimp and scallion the last, right before adding the cooked noodles into the pan, because they are delicate ingredients and I don’t want to over cook them. Udon noodles will absorb oil during cooking, so we need to add about a quarter cup oil in the beginning.
After all the ingredients have been added into the pan, I seasoned the dish with salt, sugar, soy sauce, cooking wine, oyster sauce and dark soy sauce. Those are very common Asian seasonings, you will be able to find them at your local Asian grocery store or on Amazon. And if you like spicy food, feel free to toss in a touch of red chili flakes to add a spicy kick.
Time to enjoy! I like to sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds on top before digging in.
Now that you have this stirred fried udon dish under your belt, I am sure you’ll impress your family and friends even more with your cooking skills. For folks cooking for yourself, try this dish to treat yourself. I am confident this is a dish that will put a happy smile on everyone’s face.
Here is an overview of how I made the stir-fried udon with shrimp in less than 30 minutes!
I hope you enjoy making this stir-fried udon with shrimp at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 8-10 cooked shrimps
- 1 serving udon noodles
- 2 slices ginger, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ⅛ onion, sliced
- ⅛ medium head of cabbage, shredded
- ½ carrot, cut into match-size sticks
- a handful of bean sprouts
- 2 stalks green onion, cut into long strips
- a handful of roasted sesame seeds for topping
- ¼ cup oil
- For seasoning:
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil, cook the udon noodles for 2-3 minutes, rinse under cold water, drain well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat, sauté ginger and garlic for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the onion, stir fry for a minute until turns soft slightly.
- Stir in the cabbage, carrot and bean sprouts, stir fry for a minute.
- Toss in the shrimp and green onion, continue to stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the udon noodles and toss in all the seasonings, stir fry for 2-3 minutes, make sure ingredients are mixed well and seasonings are spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds to serve and enjoy!