This week I am sharing a popular Chinese veggie recipe – Szechuan Style Shredded Potatoes!
Szechuan cuisine, a style of Chinese cuisine originating from Sichuan Province has been sweeping the nation over the past few years with its bold flavors.
This recipe is a famous and popular dish of Szechuan cuisine.
Speaking of Szechuan cuisine, the use of chili peppers and Szechuan pepper is a must, this recipe is no exception. Above are all the ingredients needed to make this dish. Dried chili pepper and Szechuan peppercorn are easy to find at Chinese grocery stores.
I like to boil the shredded potato for a minute before stir-frying, this helps to shorten the cooking time later.
Not only is this one of the easiest Chinese veggie recipes to make, this Szechuan style shredded potatoes is also very budget-friendly. The total cost of the all the ingredients are around 2 dollars!
The crunchy potato is spicy and sour taste. Make you keep wanting to take another bite!
To receive future recipe updates, you can follow me on instagram or join my newsletter. (We don’t spam, promise!)
Leave a comment below to let us know your thoughts about this recipe.
Cheers and see you next time!
- 1 potato, peeled and shredded, rinse under running water, then soak under cold water
- 3-4 dried chili pepper, cut into small pieces
- a pinch of Szechuan Peppercorn
- a pinch of chopped green onion
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil, drain the potato preciously soaked under water.
- Boil the shredded potato for about 1 minute,
stiroccasionally, drain well and set aside.
- Heat a pan over high heat, add cold oil and toss in the Szechuan peppercorn and dried chili pepper, saute 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Carefully add the potato to the pan, stir-fry for about 1 minute, add green onion, salt, soy sauce and rice vinegar, keep stir-frying for another 2-3 minutes, making sure the seasonings are spread evenly.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a plate and serve.
Soak the potato under cold water helps to 1) keep them from oxidizing, 2) keeps the potato stay crispy.
Boil the potato with hot water first will reduce the time for stir-frying.