This caramelized Korean BBQ Short Ribs is super flavorful and easy to cook. Serve with lettuce leafs and steamed rice for a delicious Korean meal!
If you are a fan of Korean food, you have probably heard of Galbi. Galbi is a popular grilled dish in Korean cuisine. It’s essentially sliced beef short ribs marinated and cooked on a tabletop grill.
Last week, I ordered a reversible stove-top griddle from Amazon. It’s perfect for making Galbi at home and many other grilled dishes. I couldn’t wait to give my new griddle a try. Today, I made Korean BBQ short ribs (galbi) for dinner and we loved it. Now, I can’t wait to share the recipe with you.
When shopping for beef short ribs to make galbi with, I usually look for well-marbled ribs for extra tenderness and flavor.
This time, I used boneless beef short ribs I got from Sunrise Mart (a Japanese grocery store) to make this dish. They are prepackaged and sliced into an ideal thickness, I find it very convenient to cook with. But I like galbi made with bone-in beef short ribs as well.
With this sweet and savory marinade made with soy sauce, brown sugar and a couple other common ingredients, you can make delicious restaurant-quality Korean BBQ short ribs at home. Simply add everything into a blender and make a puree, the marinade is ready to be used.
It’s my first time using my new stove-top griddle and I am very happy with the result. After heating the griddle to 350ºF and grilled for about 4 minutes each side, the galbi has caramelized and developed a nice crispy edge.
You can enjoy this dish in a traditional Korean style by making a wrap (serve with lettuce leafs, and Korean BBQ sauce/Ssamjang), or simply with steamed white rice. Either way, it’s delicious!
I hope you enjoy making this tasty Korean BBQ Short Ribs BB at home. If you like this recipe, please leave a rating and share it with your friends!
- 1 pound boneless beef short rib slices
- 1 small apple
- 2-inch long piece of ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 stalks green onion/scallion, chopped
- a handful of toasted sesame seeds
- Purée all the ingredients for marination in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a gallon size ziploc bag and add short ribs.
- Seal and marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably 8-10 hours.
- Heat a stove top griddle or a grill to 350°F.
- Drain excess marinade off short ribs and carefully place onto the griddle or grill.
- Cook about 4 minutes each side until cooked through and browned.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut the short ribs into 2-inch long pieces with a kitchen scissor.
- Transfer to a bowl or plate, sprinkle on top green onion and toasted sesame seeds to serve.